Monday, August 30, 2010

Yikes, There's a Dragon in My Yard!

We've had a foggy, cold and windy summer, or as someone quipped the other day ~ a mild winter. Fall color is just starting to show around the neighborhood. Several days ago I walked down to our garden in the late afternoon. The sun was low in the sky and surprising warm on my back so I just stood there for a few minutes soaking up the heat. As I opened the gate and I looked up and to my right and was shocked to find a huge red dragon on the edge of the pasture. She was an impressive sight, at least 25 feet long from nose to tail.


I think she is a friendly sort. Though you can't see them here, our neighbor's black cat and two chickens were lounging in the shade of her long neck. I was actually able to get close enough to snap a picture of one of her fiery scales.



Here there be dragons came to mind, something I once saw printed on an old map. I decided to see if it was an authentic quote. I found that one of the more recent sources of the quote is that it's the first in a series of books about an "extraordinary journey of myth, magic, and mystery" from the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A. Owen. You know what's really cool, the second book is called "The Search for the Red Dragon".


No comments:

Post a Comment