Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spider Central

I was doing laundry at my neighbors on Saturday (does the simple phrase "laundry room remodel" speak volumes?) and noticed some activity on the handrail of the stairs so I sat down on the bottom step to see what was up.


There was a huge hatch of baby spiders in cluster about the size of a silver dollar on the railing so I decided to trot home to get my camera. I held my breath and moved in for a close up.


When I slowly exhaled 100's of these youngsters dropped a foot or so on their silken threads creating a jeweled fringe. Still others spread out on a before unseen network of webs. A few seconds went by and they all scurried back up to home base. I have no idea what kind of spiders they are, but I was charmed and amazed by their antics.


"The artist is a receptacle for the emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web." Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment