Sunday, May 23, 2010

29 Years Ago Today

So have you ever thought about the serendipitous chain of events that led you to your partner in life? My husband Rod and I met 29 years ago today at a music festival in Cazadero, CA but the path started long before that.


Rod and Hazel May 1981

In 1967, my senior year at UCSB, I shared a cabin with a friend named Deanne. Through a friend of hers I met John Madison, an occasional travelling partner and gentle soul wise beyond his years. He taught me alot about myself in the time we shared.

We were on a road trip in the mid 70's and spent a couple of days with a friend of his in Crested Butte, CO. Sharon had grown up in Berkeley and when she found out I was from Sonoma County she told me I had to check out the Fort Ross Volunteer Fire Department Picnic in Cazadero. I filed the information in the back of my brain and didn't give it a second thought until 5 years later when my neighbors in Sebastopol mentioned the gathering was the following week. On a whim I decided to go.

The music and weather were amazing. I didn't know anyone there so I just decided to get up and dance by myself. The next thing you know there is this handsome, ponytailed hippie boy dancing next to me. Three hours later we were still dancing, and 29 years later we continue to dance.

The funny thing is we always remembered the date as being May 26th and celebrated that date for 25 years until I found my ticket to the event a few years ago. So now we celebrate the 23rd and the 26th!

Life is short, don't hesitate when adventures call.

2 comments:

  1. Dancing? Let me know how you get Rod to do it and I'll try it on Henry. Have a great road trip and remember we'll be celebrating on the 26th also - that's the date of the "leagalization" of our union.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so how did Rod meet Hazel?

    ReplyDelete