Saturday, May 1, 2010

For Mother's Day

My Mom passed away at 72, way too young, but she made the best of the time she was given. She was a talented and free spirited soul who loved to fish, knit, paint and play the piano. She taught me to sew, drive a car, think for myself and follow my dreams.

Once retired, she and my dad spent a decade travelling around the US and Canada in their motorhome and we’d arrange to meet up somewhere a couple of times a year. This particular visit I was about 30. After dinner one night, with our feet up around a campfire, she looked me straight in the eye and said “You know what kid, you were pretty easy to raise!” Considering I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s and got into my fair share of trouble, her comment pretty much left me speechless, but delighted. On my 40th birthday she called and said “Honey”, I don’t mind being 70 years old, but it really bugs me to have a 40 year old daughter!” At that point our conversation dissolved into hysterical laughter. She was good at that.

If your mom, aunts or grandmothers are still in your life make time to talk to them, ask about their lives and history, look at old pictures and listen. What we don’t realize is that parents (moms and dads) are just regular people who have an extraordinary job to do with no owner’s manual or guide book.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your mom. My mom is 74 and mother in law is 86, and I consider myself lucky beyond all measure to have them still both present my life. (Found you on Creative Bloggers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been away for a bit, just saw your comment tonight, thanks for the feedback and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete