Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to the Future ~ Aug 18, 2013

In my February 9, 2010 post called Wild Blue Yonder, I retold a story from one of my journals. In May, 1970 I packed up my pup Charis and headed off on an month long adventure. No promises to keep, no particular place to be. North was the general direction. Should I turn right or left was my morning mantra.

I found myself in British Columbia headed east on the Trans-Canadian Highway. At Yoho National Park I met Robert Glendenning and James Johnson. We spent a couple of weeks exploring British Columbia and Alberta together.

Camped at the base of Mt. Edith Cavell
 
Jasper, Alberta
 
A year or so ago I received a phone call from a gentleman asking if I was "the girl in the green VW bus with the black puppy he'd travelled around Canada with in 19 ought 70 something". It was Robert. Come to find he's lived in Petaluma for years.
 
Flash forward 43 years. I received a message that Robert and James wanted to meet for lunch at Sushi Hana in Sebastopol. Turns out we live within a 100 miles of each other. We had a great meal, caught up on our lives and swapped stories about our trip. Funny how you forget some things and remember other things differently.
 
James and Robert
 
“For my part,
I travel not to go anywhere,
but to go.
 I travel for travel’s sake.
The great affair is to move.”
 
Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment