Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Morning Walkabout in New York City

On my last day in New York I had several hours in the morning to take a walkabout with my friend Jean before heading back to JFK and the flight home. The architecture in the Times Square area is a panorama of styles as diverse as the population, from the art deco style of the Chrysler Building to the opulence of Grand Central Station, from the dignity of St. Patrick's Cathedral to the plethora of glass fronted skyscrapers. We walked up 5th Avenue to Central Park and back, past the flagship stores of many famous retailers like Ungaro, Tiffany, Prada, FAO Schwartz, Gucci, Versace, Cartier, and Saks. The storefront windows were filled all kinds of treasures and avant garde mannequins in bizarre clothing. My style leans more toward second hand treasures and contemporary flea market so this was a great adventure for me. My favorite site was Central Park and the horse drawn carriages. I can't wait to go back and next time my camera goes with me. It's hard to verbalize it all and a picture truly is worth a 1000 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment