Saturday, July 3, 2010

Down Time

Today is July 3rd. My husband, the chef, left for work at 5am and when his day was done he headed to Santa Rosa to watch his friend Michael’s grandsons play baseball this afternoon. I went to work out this morning, came home and tossed a load of laundry in the washer that could be hung out to dry. It's about 80 degrees and breezy. I’ve decided this is a no promises to keep day: time out, game over, no shouldas, just stop and smell the roses, or in our case honeysuckle.


The Cherry Plums are Ready

I’m out in the back yard flopped in a camp chair with my laptop, lunch, water, and a book of poetry and prose given to me this morning by a fellow gym mate. The breeze is whispering through the Redwoods and Monterey pines. The neighbors’ terrier, Ruby, is stalking gophers over the back fence. Two red squirrels are playing tag in our oak tree and I’m watching a hawk ride thermal currents looking for meal. Closing my eyes I can hear a dozen different songbirds commenting on the day.
 
How often do we let the petty of our every days overshadow the beauty in our lives? Stop what you are doing, back away from the computer, put down the dust rag and go outside for an hour or two; find a place in the shade and just observe and listen, I guarantee you’ll be glad you did. Have a safe and happy 4th of July. I am posting this and doing as ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment