Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July and Blackberries

When I was a kid our entire back fence in Mill Valley was covered with blackberries. My Dad and I would pick every summer and Mom would turn them into jams, jellies and pies.

Our Back Fence Bonanza

I haven't made jam for years, but the extended rains this spring have created a bumper crop of huge berries. I pick every couple of days, lay the berries out on trays in the freezer until they are hard and then slip them into gallon baggies until I have enough for an afternoon jamathon. This July has been really cold and foggy, what do you want to bet the day I decide to spend working over the stove it will be hot? No matter, the middle of this winter I'll have homemade jam for toast, waffles, presents and pancakes. It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment