Friday, December 3, 2010

Little Did I Know

November 23, 2010

Little did I know a laugh filled conversation with my friend Trisha on the 21st would be our last,

Lost Coast

Little did I know that the email I sent today about plans for her birthday and what she was bringing for Thanksgiving would never be read,

Little did I know that I would never again hear her voice, see her face, share her laughter or another adventure.

The Great Benbow Adventure

We wake up each morning with the reckless expectation, born from our own experience, that the sun rises every day and with it, the illusion that we'll always be there to see it. Take nothing for granted and live each day to the fullest as Trisha did. She went mid stride doing what she loved to do: working her ranch, riding her ponies, dancing and traveling.

 Excerpted from Henry Van Dyke

"I'm standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other. Someone at my side says ‘There she goes!’ Gone where? Gone from my sight...that is all. And just at that moment there are other eyes watching her coming and their voices take up the glad shouts ‘Here she comes!’” 

4 comments:

  1. Oh Shelley, this is incredibly beautiful. It captures so well how we all feel. Trisha loved you so, and chattered on happily about the adventures you experienced together. You were a huge part of her joy in living. I'm glad to know you, and to have the special bond that is Trisha. That first photo...it's all there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moments you describe are caught like fish in a net, unable to escape the memory. We all have them. They are the bounty left over. The prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! A reminder once again to appreciate folks while we have them. Thanks, Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your silver fish wriggling in the net and the beautiful photographs of them. I echo what the other Betty says in being so glad to know you.

    ReplyDelete