Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wisdom from a Refrigerator Door

Another Friday at my friend's ranch: a labor of love, never a chore. A storm just rolled through, the air is crystal clear. I can see Mt. Tamalpais from the window seat where I'm working in the morning sun. I grew up on that mountain and to say I have a connection is an understatement, but that's a story for another day.  

Today I've been going through papers and organizing spaces. One of the last tasks of the day is to remove some photos from the refrigerator door that friends have requested. I come across four words typed in capital letters on a piece of white paper stuck between pictures.

FUN ~ FREEDOM ~ FIERCENESS ~ FEARLESSNESS
  
What do they mean? No doubt something different to all who read them.
  • For Trisha they were guidelines for one unafraid to pursue life and dreams on her own terms.
  • They're learning tools for some, life can be pretty simple if we don't muck it up.
  • My grandmother would say "Honey, leave your baggage at the door and get on with it. No time for regrets:  shoulda, coulda and woulda are only excuses for a life not lived to the fullest. What are you waiting for?"
  • For me it means live every day with eyes wide open and a passion for:  
laughing at myself

"Hunting Ladybugs While Completely Invisible"


fearlessly taking on challenges, changes and chances

"Fearless"


being a force to be reckoned with

"Bear"



and creating the freedom to chase my dreams

"Freedom Horse"


Diane Ackerman "I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

Bill McKenna "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

So take a look at your agenda and the mile long to do list. Now simply walk away from it and do something spontaneous that will make the day for someone.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

    I have always been a list maker. Fortunately, I have misplaced many of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Shell. It seems so easy when you lay it out that way. I think you can exemplify it in many ways in your life that may seem mundane but are really fierce. Thanks for the thoughts. Trish keeps giving us things to think about! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete