Sunday, January 22, 2012

Handy Man

I'm the first to admit that I sometimes take my better half for granted and at times question his methods. Rod is a hands on kind of guy: most times his approach to a problem is well thought out, other times frustration takes over and the take is if it doesn't work force it.

I often see alternatives to his train of thought and don't hesitate to voice my opinion. You know "work smarter not harder" or "whoa, whoa, whoa wait a minute, time out". This has been know to rankle his good nature but then again he sometimes sees the sense in my suggestion and follows through.

The water pressure in our shower has been getting worse and worse, we're talking seriously wimpy. One morning we both looked at each other and in a blinding flash of the proverbial light bulb it occurs to us to check the little filter screen in the shower head (we're on well water).

Sounds easy enough until our vintage plumbing comes into play. The shower head comes off easily but so does the threaded part of the pipe. Oh Boy, now we have to remove the entire "S" extension that's screwed into the plumbing in the wall to replace it. A collective holding of the breath proved worth our while, it easily came out of the wall, threads intact. Off to Sebastopol Hardware for a replacement part and a low flow shower head (will enhance pressure of a small amount of water).

Handy Boy has all back in running order in no time and says "I think you're going to be happy with the water pressure." I am so looking forward to a real shower I'm in there in a flash. Wahoooo! I had to hold on to the soap dish to keep from being shot to the other end of the enclosure. The hot and cold water faucets are barely a open a quarter turn and we've got Niagara Falls. We plugged up the tub for both our shamelessly long showers and it was less than a third of a tub of water for both. Something to be said for low flow shower heads!
 
The Man of the Shower

Kudos to my plumber and all men who put up with their women making suggestions. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're slightly off base, but that's what teamwork is all about ~ compromise.  
        

1 comment:

  1. That's great that it worked out. I do remember times when an easy job turned into a hard one. I really appreciate my "handy" guy as well and try to be patient as he goes through the process. Think what they could do together????

    ReplyDelete