Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Back of the Closet

Every so often I get out the ladder and explore the netherworld of the large storage area above my closet. My motivation was prompted by the continuing rain (its June for crying out loud), it was time to see what was up there again and I was given a wonderful large brim red hat with it's own box that I want to store up there out of harms way. 

When I was a kid one of my godmothers gave me a piece of silverware for each birthday and Christmas so that I would have nice settings for entertaining when I was a grown up. The thing is we're BBQ people, we don't have sit down dinners. The box has been stored "up there" for 20 years, it's contents rarely used, so I got it down for a look see. Her heart was in the right place, but her count a little questionable. To my amusement I found 4 knives, 3 salad forks, 16 teaspoons, 14 forks, 4 butter knives and no tablespoons. So my question was, why am I storing it, why not use it for everyday. Geeze Louise, that was a hard one!

We hold onto stuff for various reasons but there comes a time when one has to cowgirl up and make some decisions. I'm donating some really cool and useful things to our local VNA Hospice Thrift Store. My red hat now fits up there just fine.

Might be time to take a look in some of your "out of sight, out of mind" nooks and crannies. You may find something inspiring, some things to donate to a local charity and best of all liberate some space (a girl can never have enough storage). Good luck on your mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment