Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tis the Season ~ October 13, 2012

I'm not a political person. My idea of the news is the Daily Show. Newspapers are for the funnies and the crossword puzzle. Now we seem to be on the 24/7 political channel: Most of our mail is recyclable, the phone is on permanent screen, and the TV is overrun by talking heads, mudslingers, analysts, and wannabes. I cannot wait until November 7th when things get back to semi-normal.

Anyway, there's a new radio station in Sonoma County called Funny 95.5 and its 24/7 comedy. A great co-pilot when you're in the car dodging idiots and trying to maintain your cool. This quote from the irrespressable Will Rogers got me to thinking about the art (and I use that term loosely) of politics.
Everything is changing.
People are taking their comedians seriously
and the politicians as a joke.

I started researching political humor and found some priceless thoughts and observations that might lighten your day and get you to thinking.

Will Rogers ~ The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected.
Harry S. Truman ~ My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
E. E. Cummings ~ A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man.
Alfred E. Newman ~ Crime does not pay as well as politics.
Charlie Chaplin ~ I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
Ronald Reagan ~ Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Ernest Benn ~ Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Adlai Stevenson ~ I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them.
Unknown ~ Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason."

Voting Girl I Pin-Up - wall art mixed media collage 8"X10" within 11"X14" matboard

So step up to the bar, cowboy up, and face the task at hand: attempt to make sense of the voter pamphlet, inform yourself as best you can and vote. There's a $5 fine for whining and you can't complain if you didn't show up ~ I said that.


No comments:

Post a Comment