Friday, June 7, 2013

Off the Proverbial Grid ~ June 07, 2013

The actual chemoembolization or TACE procedure was the easy part. The aftermath can kind of take the wind out of your sails for a few weeks.

Pain is the most common side effect of the procedure because the blood supply to the tumor is cut off. Also, to control the potential for bleeding, I had to lay flat on my back for at least 4 hours. Due to the fact it hurt too much to move, I was basically in that position for 24 hours. Old spines speak, then scream volumes, when parked in stationary situations for inordinate amounts of time. Spines are made for movement.
lady art print, painting, fantasy, dancer, dancing, Lake Dancer
Lake Dancer

Nausea and a slight fever are to be expected. Only with you for a few days, but totally annoying. Fortunately all are readily controlled with antibiotics, anti-nausea and pain medication. And yes, Mabel, they too come with their own side effects. Oh Boy!

Why are there never any good side effects?
Just once I'd like to see a drug commercial that says
May cause extreme awesomeness.
The potential side effects of the procedure, listed on the UCSF and other websites, are totally generic with no hint of the possibilities. I guess they don't want to scare you. However, anyone going through chemotherapy or TACE treatments is already facing a life threatening situation. We are already warriors in our own right so I don't think a few more details are going to scare any of us. 

Equus. valkyrie fantasy horse greek warrior woman warcraft art print 

What else can we expect besides the usual suspects? What about the vice clamped on my right shoulder the first week and the hive like rash on my back? Are there naturopathic or other remedies for some of these? It's the little things that can make a difference.

Sleep is one of the keys to healing. I've mastered the art of the cat nap and drop in my tracks whenever I feel the need.

While She Slept 5x7

While She Slept
One of the most important aspects of healing is the power of positive thought. Rod is my rock and I cannot say enough about our posse of friends and neighbors. They have sent energy, humor, flowers, food and thoughts. We've partnered up with one of our neighbors to share the work and the bounty of our large vegetable garden, a win-win for both families.  
I'm back to sleeping through the night and getting stronger everyday. It's taken a couple of weeks to approach normal. I've learned to be patient with myself. The rash on my back is healing, but still looks a little like I got hit with buckshot. My doc thinks it may have been a reaction to the detergent used to wash hospital linens. On her advice I'm bringing a T-shirt and my own sheet for the next session on June 24th. We went to the movies yesterday and for a mile walk today. After two weeks of inactivity, I had to start from scratch, that's been the really hard part.

Amusing aside ~ I seem to have the attention span of a six year old. I'm hoping it's temporary.

Bright note ~ I'm at my high school cheerleading weight of 125 ~ Do you serve belts with those pants?

Once again thanks to Etsy Artisans who create the pictures that speak my words.